In 1552, the library of Don Hernando Colón went on to increase the funds of the bookshop of the Ecclesiastical Cabildo of Seville (the chapter library) by testamentary disposition of the great bibliophile and Spanish humanist.
Although the number of capitular volumes is greater, the name of Columbus has prevailed in history and it is as it is known today to the two libraries. It is located in the northeast corner of the Patio de los Naranjos, between the door of the lizard and the door of forgiveness, with current access to the public from the German street. This has been its location since the middle of the 16th century the Cabildo will enable this area to receive the Columbian legacy. Previously, the chapter library had occupied various quarters of the cathedral since it began to form in the 13th century. Currently, the Columbian Library retains some 6000 works, of which almost 1200 are incunabula-which makes it the first in Spain, after the National Library-and 500 manuscripts. For its part, the chapter library reaches 70000 volumes, with more than 100 incunabula and a rich collection of manuscripts, among which are the medieval liturgical codices and the numerous texts, many of them unpublished, on the history of Seville.