Magnificent monument erected to house the remains of the discoverer Admiral of America.
It is the work of Arturo Mélida and Alinari, who projected it for the Cathedral of Havana, although historical avatars from 1902 can be seen in the Cathedral of Seville. The mausoleum is located in the center of one of the arms of the transept, on the side of the epistle, in front of the door of the prince and next to the chapel of the old, very linked to Columbus because it is said that here he prayed before leaving to his long voyages. In fact, he called “Antigua” to the first island spotted on one of his travels.
The sepulchre represents four heralds symbolizing the kingdoms of the Spanish Crown and carrying on their shoulders the coffin of the discoverer covered by the banner of the Catholic monarchs. Each one, in his robes, carries symbols representative of the kingdoms of Castile, León, Navarre and Aragon, carrying those that precede the monument, in the case of Castile, a paddle marked with a marine animal symbol of the voyages that the Crown supported and in the case of León, a spear that crosses the crescent of the Muslim religion as a triumph of the Christian faith and culminates pricking the fruit of the pomegranate as a symbol of the historical moment in That the city of Granada was dominated. All these elements form a majestic monument masterfully carved in alabaster and polychrome bronze that is based on a large stone and marble base where you can read: “When the island of Cuba was emancipated by the mother of Spain, Seville obtained the deposit of the remains of Columbus and its town hall erected this pedestal.